It’s finally here.
We are doing what we must do to bring our child home.
This child we have not met. We have not seen a picture. We
don’t even know if this child is a boy or girl, or how old he/she is right now.
But one thing we do know, and it is all we need to know right now:
God placed this child into our family long before we decided
to take this beautiful road. When He first thought of Brett and me, at the
beginning of time, He saw His plans for us. He saw each of our children and His
plans for them. None of this is a surprise to Him, nor did He think twice about
how he was going to so intricately weave this family together.
Head Knowledge
I have started reading two books about adoption (Orphanology and Adopted
for Life), and they both from the beginning address the fact that adoption
is the heart of God. Because the Bible is clear that God did not merely save us
from our sins, but He also adopted us into His family so that
we can be called His children. HIS CHILDREN! He isn’t only my hero- although He
is certainly that- but He is my Daddy.
I have seen these scriptures about adoption in the Bible
over the span of my life as a Christian, but they never meant a whole lot to
me. I had the head knowledge, but it had not sunk into my heart… not until God
laid adoption on my heart. Now, I feel like God has just begun scratching the
surface of exactly how deep He is going to take this into my heart. He
whispered to my soul today as my eyes watered out of overwhelming gratitude of
this journey: “This is only the beginning.” Because through this process, He is
going to show me things I have never seen before. I am going to get a very
intimate encounter with His love for me as I find myself already falling in
love with this child I have no details about. I am going to learn just exactly
what it means to find my identity in belonging to HIM… not because I deserve to
be called His child (because I certainly don't!), but because He chose to call
me “daughter”.
Adopted. Accepted. Loved.
It All Began…
It was a beautiful July afternoon in 2009. Brett was
attending a month-long course at a military base in Virginia, and Brielle and I
came to visit for a few days. We were strolling around an outdoor mall,
enjoying each other’s company, when seemingly out of nowhere he says, “I think
we should adopt.” I asked him why, and he told me that he had been thinking
about it and he really felt we should. He said that with so many children on
this earth, why shouldn't we? I told him that I would love to, but
I wasn't sure it was the right time. Adoption is expensive, after
all. And I was only a sophomore in college at the time. But despite my
questions, my heart was leaping for joy at the thought of bringing an orphan
into our family. The more I thought and prayed about it, the more I knew that
sooner or later we would be adopting.
We did not know where to begin, so I started searching the
internet for an agency. Overwhelmed by the huge number of adoption agencies out
there, I just chose a highly popular one and requested a free information
packet. After receiving the packet, I was bursting with excitement. There was
something about physically holding adoption information in my hand that made it
suddenly so real to me. We told a select few people about what God had done: He
had given us a heart for adoption.
And then, fall 2009 to fall 2010, not much happened. During
that year we waited and prayed and sought direction. We talked and dreamed
about when we would bring our first adopted child home. We had saved up a
little bit of money, and we reasoned that if we timed it just right then we
could bring the child home over my summer break between my junior and senior
years. One thing about international adoptions, though, is that the timelines
are HIGHLY unreliable and you must be very flexible. We had no way of knowing
when we would be told it was time to go get our child. Despite the time not
feeling quite right to start the process, we started looking seriously for an
adoption agency. After looking at a Christian-based one online and then having
a positive conversation with a classmate whose friend adopted using that
agency, we decided on them. (For confidentiality purposes, we will not reveal
the name of the agency and when we talk about any of our social workers/
adoption team, we will use an initial or a made-up name.) In addition to
choosing an agency, we also decided to move to a bigger place. In December 2010
we move from our 2 bedroom apartment to a 3 bedroom townhouse. But, I was
disheartened as I walked around our new home and prayed and felt God telling me
that this was not the place we would be bringing our next child home to.
So from December 2010 into 2011, we waited more and prayed
more and tried to save more money. We had chosen Uganda from all of the
agency's international programs. We stared at the application, trying to figure
out why God laid this on our heart when we did not know how to make it work.
Our new home did not feel right, we did not have nearly enough money saved up,
and I still was not close enough to graduation. But we knew that we had to be
getting closer. Then, in July of 2011, we bought a house. At about the
same time, on a whim we had decided to seek adoption through fostering. We went
through the required training classes and completed the home study. But our
foster parenting plans ended just about as quickly as they had began. Looking
back, Brett thinks that pursuing foster parenting was a result of us trying to
take a shortcut. We were trying to do things our way because the road to Africa
was seeming impossible. But, more often than not, He calls us to take the roads
that look impossible. We are not opposed to foster parenting in the future, but
next time it will not be an emotionally-driven decision. (It ended up being a good
thing fostering did not work out in July, because that semester of school ended
up being my toughest thus far. There were many nights where I did not know how
I was juggling being Mommy, Wife, and Student and I knew there was no way I
could have given a therapeutic foster child the time and attention he/she would
have needed.)
Six months later, in December, we both felt like it was
finally time. Overwhelmed with anticipation and excitement, we went to an
informational meeting held by our agency. When asked what country we were
interested in adopting from, we said Uganda without hesitation. We felt like we
had a connection with that country because we had been following Katie's blog
(kissesfromkatie.blogspot.com) since I stumbled upon it in 2009. But, as God
often does, He showed us that our plans were not His plans. During this
meeting, we heard about a brand new program: Democratic Republic of the Congo
(abbreviated DRC). We both walked out of the meeting in wholehearted agreement
that we would be adopting from there.
About a week later, we filled out our application, submitted
the application fee, and completed our statements of faith. It felt too good to
be true, that the time had finally came for us to do this. On January 4th,
we got the e-mail telling us that they are looking forward to working with us.
We became officially "paper pregnant" at this point, as our lives
have been (and will be) inundated with loads of paperwork as we do what it
takes to bring our child home.
Where We Are Now
Since being accepted, we have: Had the orientation phone
call, completed two of the four required home study interviews, started on the
required training modules and required readings, and dug into the mountain of
paperwork. When our home study is complete in the next 1-2 weeks, the next step
will be to wait on our referral.
Agencies differ in how they match adoptive parents with a
child, also known as a referral. Some agencies place you on a list, and as the
child meeting your preferences comes available you move up on that list until
it is finally your turn. Some agencies have you go to the country and select a
child out of the orphanage(s) they work with. I am about to describe the way
our agency handles referrals, and it is our favorite: An agency employee in DRC
reads over our home study, which reveals a lot about us. Taking what they learn
about us and what they know about the available children in consideration,
he/she then prays while deciding which child to match us with. After that
decision has been made, we will then get a phone call letting us know that we
have a referral. We will get an e-mail with the available health information,
estimated date of birth (Does this not break your heart? The day they were
born, which is so celebrated here in the United States, is all too often an
unknown date to them), and a picture. After reviewing this information, we tell
them whether or not we accept the referral. We decided without hesitation a
long time ago that whatever child we receive a referral for IS our child! I cannot
imagine looking at the face of an orphan and then saying, "Nope, sorry.
Next referral please." What if God did not accept us due to our health
records or the way we looked?? We'd all be orphans.
So this is where we stand in this process as of right now.
There is so much more I want to say, but I wanted to try to keep it to the
facts right now. My next post is going to be our responses to questions (some
that we may or may have not been asked yet). I will leave you with some facts.
Thank you for joining us on this journey!
Quick Facts
- We do
not know if the child will be a boy or girl. We had the opportunity to
specify the sex, but after praying about it we knew that was not something
we were told to decide.
- The
child will be between newborn and 3 years old at the time we are matched.
This also was covered in a lot of prayer before providing our age
preference.
- We
will be matched with our child (most likely) between late March and May!!!
- We
will be heading over to DRC for a mandatory 2-week stay probably between
December 2012 and February 2013. This is the time we will meet our child
and bring them home!!!
- The
longest and hardest part of this process will be from the time we are
matched until the time we go to DRC to pick him/ her up. During that time,
a lot of legal stuff takes place and we will be putting a lot of time and
effort into fundraising.
- In the
world, there is an estimated 143,000,000 orphans. (143 MILLION)
- About
5,000,000 (5 MILLION) of these orphans are in DRC.
- Most
orphans in the DRC have lost their parents to war or disease.
- If the
U.S. had an orphan crisis like DRC, 1 out of every 4 children would be
orphans.
- Less
than 1% of foreign orphans will ever be adopted.
I think this is so awesome!! God truly has blessed y'all with an amazing heart...yes,one heart to share!lol I do not consider myself an 'adoption' personality...God blesses only His most special children with a heart for adoption, and y'all are 2 of those children. I know that your new son or daughter will be quite the envy of every adopted child in this World because y'all are such awesome people!! I wish y'all all the best of luck & blessings, not only in your quest towards finalizing the adoption, but the rest of your lives with your amazing son or daughter!! I can't wait to see him/her & hear that your dreams have finally been made a reality! Stay strong, don't give up, & don't let other's hurtful words get you down!!
ReplyDelete--Ali
Thank you so much for this! Your encouragement and kind words really mean a lot to us! I look forward to the day we get to make the announcements that 1) We got our referral, and 2) We are heading to get him/her. So glad to have amazing people like you supporting us from the very start.
Delete